Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Author Interview: Montana Ash


Thank you for agreeing to this interview!  First, can you tell us a little about yourself and your background?

By night, I write paranormal and fantasy romance with a good dollop of Aussie humour and sexy-fun times. By day, I am a scientist. I currently have three books out in my Elemental Paladins series and I am currently writing book four as well as a gritty, sexy new series.

If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?

Stubborn, easy-going, loyal.

If someone wrote a book of your life would it be a drama, a comedy, a romantic-comedy, horror or science fiction/fantasy?  What would be the title?

Definitely not a romantic-comedy! Drama? Nah, not so much. Maybe a comedy mixed with horror and a dash of fantasy ;) Only because I seem to be one of the most accident prone people I know – not clumsy – but I definitely get my share of random bad luck. As for the title … ‘A day in the life of Montana Ash: A Survivors Guide’ 

If you could have unlimited storage of one thing, what would it be?

Oh, books for sure. An unlimited source of books would be a dream come true.

If you could have dinner with three people, past or present, who would it be and why?

Einstein – what I wouldn’t give to pick his brain!
Leonardo da Vinci – tell me who the real Mona Lisa was, dammit!!!
A dinosaur – yes, yes, I know – very weird and random. But come on, who doesn’t want to meet a real dinosaur?! As long as I’m not on the menu of course …

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

English was always my favourite subject in school. I even enjoyed writing essays. So I have always liked the process of writing, but honestly, I didn’t begin to entertain the idea of being an author until a couple of years ago. I had so many worlds and characters in my head, that I decided I would sit down and write one of them out. Thus, the Elemental Paladins were born.

What draws you to this genre?  Are you interested in writing other genres?  If so what ones?
What genre wouldn’t you write?

The freedom. I love the freedom paranormal and fantasy allows me; no rules, anything goes, it’s all plausible because it’s fantasy! I’m keen to write young adult and wouldn’t say no to crime fiction either. The only genre I’m not a fan of is non-fiction – biographies etc.

If you could change one thing about this genre, what would it be?

Hmm, I can’t say I would change anything about the paranormal/fantasy genre. It’s the freedom thing again. I’m happy for it to be free and unrestricted … 

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How much the plot and the characters evolve. They truly do write themselves in many ways. I can never predict where the story will end, even though I have every book plotted and planned from start to finish!

What do you like to read in your free time?

I read paranormal romance of course, crime fiction, science fiction, fantasy, contemporary romance, thriller, and horror. The only genre I’m not particularly fond of is biographies.

Which writers inspire you?

Jane Austen – an empowered female author, well ahead of her time. Also indie authors who find real success – good for them!

What book that you have read has most influenced your life?

Probably ‘To Kill A Mocking Bird’ by Harper Lee. Truly a wonderful book I was introduced to at only 13 years old. Even at that age, I could see and feel how much power words could hold over a reader. What a gift!

Do you listen to music when you write?  Is there a certain type you like to listen to?  Do you put your playlists on Spotify for listeners?

I do listen to music when I write. Either that, or movies/TV series in the background. I like noise. I have very eclectic taste in music from Placebo, to Mariah Carey, to Ed Sheeran, to Boyce Avenue, to Sia, and Evanescence. I haven’t yet shared my playlists with readers … but it’s a great idea! 

If you could spend time with a character from your books who would it be? And what would you do during that day? (PG-13 please ;-) )

Max for sure! A day with her would be so much fun! I would definitely have to take her to a karaoke bar, given her very vocal objections to those establishments. I would make it my mission to figure out what the hell the ‘donkey and the train incident’ was.

What character in your books are you least likely to get along with?

Definitely the snobby, elitist characters that make up the council who govern over the special warden/paladin society. I can’t stand people who look down on others for no other reason than they were lucky enough to be born into a certain household.  

What are you working on at the moment?

I currently have delusions of grandeur in that I am writing three books concurrently; Book four and five in my Elemental Paladins series – Ranger and Custodian; Book one in my new series, Reluctant Royals – Reluctant King. And I am also playing with another author to co-write a young adult fantasy book – T.J. Spade. So I guess, technically, this year has at least a line-up of four new books. Definitely delusional ;) But would be great if I could pull them all off!

Author Bio

Montana is a self-confessed book junkie. Although she loves reading all genres from romance to crime fiction to sci-fi, her not-so-guilty pleasure is paranormal romance. Alpha men, just a little bit damaged, and Alpha women who don't seem to know they need looking after, are a favourite combination of hers. Throw in some steamy sex scenes, a touch of humour, and a little violence and she is in heaven! 

Her overactive (and overindulged) imagination could only take so much before the many voices wanted out. Thus, Montana's journey into the wonderful world of writing.

She is a scientist by day, having grown up in country New South Wales, Australia. Writing about ancient knights, demons and shapeshifters is such a delicious contradiction to her day job in the laboratory, that she doesn't see the voices stopping anytime soon! 

Connect with Montana

1 comment:

  1. My favorite new paranormal author. Love your books, Max is my hero!

    ReplyDelete